......Passionate about Latin America.....
Yes... I am ...Passionate about Latin America.... I blog, tweet, write articles, publish books, give speeches, run a website and host a facebook group on Latin America . My Latin American interests cover politics, economies,history, literature, culture, music and movies.
I love the Latin American spirit, which is
celebra la vida
segundo a segundo
nada se guarde
todo se brinde...
It means.. celebrate life ..second to second.. hold back nothing..give out everything..
This is part of of a pop song by Axel, the Argentine singer.
I admire and love the company of the Latin Americans who are lively,cheerful, free-spirited, warm and friendly. I enjoy samba and salsa, football and carnaval, tequila and caipirinha, copacabana and ipanema, cafezinho and cafecito, bossanova and boleros, tango and malbec.
I read Latin American fiction, poems, biographies, autobiographies and books on history, politics, economics, business and culture of Latin America. My favourite authors are: Mario Vargas Llosa, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Isabel Allende, Julia Alvarez, Alvaro Mutis, Carlos Fuentes, Jorge Amado, Octavio Paz and Laura Restrepo among others.
I go crazy with Latino music. My favourite singers and bands are: Reik, Cristian Castro, Axel,,Diego Torres, Luis Fonsi, Selena, Gal Costa, Roberta Miranda, Alexandro Pires, Marco Antonio Solis, Gloria Estefan, Alex Ubago, Chayanne, Juan Luis Guerra, Juanes, Jesse y Joy, Prince Royce and Celia Cruz.
My favourite Latin American films: Frida, Su Excellencia, ( both mexican) Embajador de la India, La libertadora del Libertador, Yo soy Bolivar ( all three colombian) Capitan Pantoja y las visitadoras( Peruvian) , Los voces inocentes ( El Salvador) and Central Station, Bossa Nova ( Brazil), El mismo amory la misma lluvia, Orillas, Diario de un motorcyclista, Cuento Chino, Hunabko ,Historia oficial ( Argentina)Latin American heroes : Simon Bolivar and Che Guevara
I am a believer in the New Latin America which has a new paradigm of sustainable political stability, economic growth and autonomy in foreign policy based on a new mindset and market.The region has found its own development model in the " Brasilia Consensus" of equilibrium between pro-poor and pro-business policies. The macroeconomic fundamentals have become stronger and the economies have become more resilient and resistant to external shocks. The Latin American countries are moving in the direction of regional and sub-regional integration which reinforce their political and economic stability while at the same time the groups have become like firewalls against external interference. Exceptions are there, of course..
I have visited all the Latin American countries and feel at home whether it is Tegucigalpa or Tierra del Fuego. See map
Malgudi to Macondo - the journey of an innocent Indian through the seductive Latin America - August 2012 - published by Indo-Latin American Chamber
Business with Latin America - second edition February 2005 - published by Eximbank of India
Business with Latin America - first edition February 2003 - published by Embassy of India Caracas
Business with Andean Community - April 2001- published by Embassy of India, Caracas
Guide for Business with Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay - five editions 2008-12
Guide for Business with Venezuela - three editions 2001-3 - published by the Embassy of India, Caracas
Guide for Business with Brasil - four editions 1997-2000 - published by the Consulate of India, Sao Paulo .
A market study of Mercosur June 1997 - published by the Consulate, Sao Paulo
- www.businesswithlatinamerica.blogspot.com on Latin American economies, trade, investment and Indo-Latin American business
- www.latinamericanaffairs.blogspot.com. this is about things of the heart: music, books, politics, culture, people and experience
- www.businesswithlatinamerica.com. this is about business, markets and Indo-Latin American business
- http://www.youtube.com/IndembassyAR - over 100 speeches in Spanish and English
- Indo-Latin American business and friendship group There are over 1000 members both from India andLatin America exchanging information, ideas and business prospects.
My articles on Latin America and Indo-Latin American relations have been published in newspapers,magazines and business journals of India, Latin America and USA
I give talks on Latin America in Indian Chambers of Commerce, Thinktanks and Universities in the various cities of India as well as speeches on India in Latin American chambers, thinktanks and Universities in spanish and portuguese.
- Ambassador of India to Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay - October 2007 to May 2012. Retired from there on 31 may 2012
- Head of the Latin America Division in the Ministry of External Affairs of India - 2004 to 2007.
- Head of Investment and Trade Promotion Division in the Ministry, 2003 - 2004
- Ambassador to Venezuela 2000-2003.
- Consul General of India in Sao Paulo - 1996 to 2000.
- Previous postings include New York ( mission to the United Nations), Mauritius, Libya, Pakistan and Portugal
- Distinguished Fellow, Latin America Studies, Gateway House ( Indian Council on Global Relations ) since 1 August 2013
Golf enthusiast. played in many courses in Latin America including snow golf in Ushuaia in Argentina.
Have played in more than 90 courses in the East Coast of US during posting in New York.
member of Delhi Golf Club
skiied in Vale Nevado in Chile and Bariloche, Las Lenas, Chappelco and Ushuaia in Argentina, besides some US ski resorts
tennis, ping pong, done some rollerblading and ice skating too
travel, reading, music and bridge
worked as lecturer in Chemistry at Bishop Heber College, Trichy 1974-5 and at Pachaiyappa's College, Madras 1975-77
M Sc chemistry from Pachaiyappa's College Madras, 1974
B Sc chemistry from Pushpam College, Poondi
High School studies- Government Secondary School, Mariammankovil
Elementary School , Rararmuthiraikottai village, halfway between Mariammankovil and Poondi
Malgudi to Macondo - my journey